Sunday, February 8, 2009

Oleander and Conundrum

I wrote these as a warm-up exercise for my students while we rush quickly through classical Chinese poetry. The theme seems clear to me; I will see if it is as clear to them.

Oleander

Oleanders bloom always
In the easy arms of sun-warmed brick;
They flourish when cut back and bound,
But grow rambunctious and unkempt
If spared the shears and twine.
They are unable to seek their own beauty,
But instead must find it in the gardener
Who knows just enough to tell it how to grow,
But not enough to let it grow. 

Conundrum

You wish to know
How I will judge you,
For your lives are full of others’ judgment.
You wish to know what marks I will make;
My marks give your work its only meaning.
If I tell you I will not judge you,
Or will judge you all the same,
Your work will be slight and meaningless.
If I tell you I will judge you carefully,
Your work will be tremulous and joyless.
You find it a burden to work for work’s sake:
For bright discovery,
For fearlessness,
For happiness. 

No comments: